Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Worst Drive Ever...So Far

So my trip to Twin started off on the wrong foot. After getting on the road I switched the heat from defrost to floor. Upon doing so I immediately began to smell something foul. I slid my shoe off to find it covered in poo. After debating whether or not to just pull-over and wipe it in the grass, I realized I was passing my sister Melissa's exit. So I swung by her place and hosed off my rubber floor mat and shoe. Not entirely convinced the smell was gone, I left the mat and shoe in the trunk and drove in my slippers (yes I bring them for my over-night in Twin). When I left her house I knew I'd be pushing it to make it to class on time, but little did I know that poo would be the least of my problems on this trip.

About thirty miles out of Twin I began to hear something on the passenger side rattling. I looked at the passenger seat belt and messed with the stuff on the seat. Didn't quit. I then looked in my rear-view mirror and noticed that it was kind of shaking. I looked at the road to see if it was my lane, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. It was then that I decided something might be wrong and I began to slow down and pulled off the road. I opened my door and looked at the rear tire and found this:




I got the tire changed without any real problems and was back on my way. Luckily I have a full-sized spare so I didn't have to drive 45mph the rest of the way there. Needless to say, I was late for class, but I was safe.

6 comments:

Missy said...

Wow, that really is a blow out. You are lucky you didn't loose control of the car or anything.

Bekah and Lance said...

sheesh! no fun at all! glad you're safe!

Dad said...

I glad that you finally realized that the rattle was the whole car and figured out the problem was outside of the car. Looking at that rim it looks like you went a ways before you stopped. I hope the rim will be okay. Good Luck.

Kate said...

Bummer. That happened to me once while driving Christy's car. She had a spare, but no jack so I had to call Dad to come rescue me.

mom said...

Gee, maybe I was inspired to advise you to get new tires sooner than later. Maybe you're regetting not listening. Or maybe not. Glad you were safe.

Keri said...

I think mom was saying, "told ya so." Glad you are safe and that would could fix it. I'd be in a world of hurt, our spare is attached under the van with bolts and stuff. I'd have no idea how to get it off.