Friday, June 5, 2009

A Post by DAN

(That title is to help those of you confused by our last post, which was in fact posted by JESS)

So all week I haven't been moving well.  My upper back and chest have been hurting.  It felt like my back was just out of place, but nothing seemed to help.  On Tuesday, when I was getting our suitcases out of our crawlspace closet, it hurt so bad that I had to just stay in there a while.  Wednesday it wasn't too bad.  I felt fine enough to play Freeze Tag with the kids at work.  Yesterday morning, however, I woke up super sore and it hurt to move/bend.  But alas, I had to be at work, so I went.  It's not easy working with half a dozen five year-olds when you can't move.  The worst pain seemed to be in my general heart area, which only slightly worried me.

Anyway, when I got off I went to the doctor.  He determined that it was skeletal/muscular, due to some inflammation in my chest (apparently he didn't know I just had great pecks!)  
So, he decided to give me a shot to reduced the swelling.  As he felt around, he said that the place he needed to get the needle was about as thick as three sheets of paper, but that the swelling was not helping him find it.  He also said that if he went too far, he'd hit the lining of my lung.

Now, I hate needles, always have.  Since I couldn't find a job when I moved to Rexburg, I had to accept that plasma donation was necessary.  But, unlike most donors, I HAVE to watch the needle go in.  

This became a problem, as I was laying on my back with my shirt pulled up, blocking where he was prepping to put the needle!  It only cause mild anxiety and a little discomfort, but I survived!  Through out the rest of the night, I didn't notice much change, so I'm not sure he hit the exact spot, but with the pain pills I'm feeling decent this morning.

6 comments:

Bryn said...

OOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!! I hate needles too! Sorry you had to get stuck! Have a great trip. I hope it is a blast. LYNETTE (the computer is logged in under Bryn)

Marinda said...

So I was watching HOUSE when I read this. It was a pretty good combination -- you could have been a patient on HOUSE! Sorry about the whole needle thing. Hope you get feeling better.

Dad said...

Daniel,I know how much you hate needles. I remember the broken sholder incident. You were more comfortable with the broken sholder than you were with getting the shot. To have the shot so close to the lung tissue must have caused a little bit of anxiety. You must of lived through this shot too, because you managed to call your mother. Thank you. Good luck on your travels.

Dad said...

Hey Dan, How do I go back and correct stuff on a previously published comment? I just realized that I spelled shoulder wrong. So that screwy work sholder is really shoulder.

Dan said...

Don't worry, dad, I'll teach you next week!

Keri said...

Dude did you have man boobs!