Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Back in the Habit

As many of you know, donating plasma has been a way of life for me throughout my college career. I was going as often as I was allowed (twice in seven days) for close to four years.  I rarely took more than a week or two off.  I've had a few bad experiences there, but the money is good, so I've always gone back.  By my rough calculations, I've probably made a good $10,000 out of my right arm.  This past January for one reason or another I stopped going.  I have been reluctant to go back, but I know that money will be tight as Jess is off for the summer and I start grad school, so I made an appointment to go back.  The day before and morning of my appointment I just wanted to call in and cancel, not that I'm somehow now afraid to donate, but I just didn't want to have to donate to get by.  I mean really, I've got a four-year degree, but still need a needle in my arm to pay the bills.  While in the interview process they review all of the things that could happen and then ask "do you still want to donate?"  I was so tempted to say no, but I was actually being interviewed with two first-timers, so I didn't want to scare them off.  So I went through with it and then treated myself to a Hot-N-Ready pizza (miss ya, B).  Just when my scar was fading and I was no longer looking like a junkie, I went back.  But that's ok, the extra cash will help and I get a reason to catch up The Price is Right!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Sorry you have to donate. But 10,000 sounds pretty dang good!

Missy said...

I would donate if it was closer, I could use the extra cash.

mom said...

I remember Melissa fainting after donating at AK. Oh well Dan-at least it's honest money. Glad you didn't scare the newbies off.

Dave said...

Brother... You're a better man than I am! I couldn't do it. I just don't dig the thought of being violated with a hollow knitting needle, having my blood being siphoned out, manipulated, and then reintroduced into my body sans plasma. No thanks. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

Keri said...

I just told Tyler that's what he should do to earn some money right now. Thanks for the job info.It doesn't quite fit Ty's areas. So we'll keep looking.